It’s an exciting time at Portman Dental Care. We are the largest privately-focused dental group in the UK, having grown to >210 practices in 14 years, an upcoming merger with Dentex and ambitious plans for continued growth. Despite this growth, our ethos remains simple and strong – we focus on treating others as we would want to be treated ourselves.
Portman differs from other dental groups in that our support is very much focused around our practices and clinicians and the consumers they serve. Local empowerment of our practices has been important in our success and will always continue to be at the heart of our business.
About the opportunity
We’re looking for a Regional Clinical Lead to join our clinical team on an employed basis for 20 hours per week (2 days) supporting our South West, M4 Corridor and Wales practices. As Regional Clinical Lead (RCLs) you’ll play a vital role in Portman and a pivotal part in our clinical leadership team. As an RCL, you will take responsibility for maintaining clinical standards in the practices in your region whilst also supporting the business, learning from clinician and patient feedback to improve the quality and delivery of the service.
In partnership with our Clinical and Operations Teams, your role is to ultimately drive practice growth. You will also work with other central Support team functions and colleagues so the ability to build relationships beyond clinical stakeholders is key.
The expectation is that you will need to visit the practices in your region at least quarterly (whether in person or virtually), connect with individual clinicians as necessary, but at least once per year 1:1, and attend quarterly regional reviews with Operations Managers. There will also be some companywide meetings such as training and development and conferences equating to once a quarter nationally.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Working with the Operations team to form a vision and clinical strategy for each practice to maximise its growth potential.
- Ensuring each practice is set-up for success; that the culture and environment attract the best self-employed clinicians and ensure they are empowered to deliver high standards of dentistry and achieve their dentistry goals.
- Building a relationship with every clinician in your area, ensuring you understand their career goals, development needs and level of engagement with their practice and with Portman.
- Building strong relationships with Practice Managers within your region and be their point of contact when they have clinical concerns that cannot be resolved within the practice.
- Locally building and managing external relationships with regional stakeholders acting as the regional liaison to universities, dental schools, regulatory bodies as well as regional groups and local professional networks e.g. LDCs, MCN, BOS, BDA groups and LATs.
- Utilising your clinical network to support Portman’s M&A activity.
- Regionally line manage employed Practice Clinical Leads (PCLs) in the region, supporting their onboarding and development.
- Providing expert clinical input across the region and facilitating clinical development in practice teams where needed.
- Regulatory and Compliance: oversee and support Portman’s clinical compliance in your region. Identify and mitigate clinical risks and promote opportunities at a regional level. Support regulatory compliance at a practice level. Highlight and protect critical red lines.
- Work with your Operations Manager to provide clinical input to the practice budgets in your area and ensure clinician input and commitment.
We’d love to hear from you if you’re an experienced Registered GDC Dentist and have:
- An openness and willingness to learn new skills
- Availability to travel across our network regionally and occasionally nationally this may include some air travel
- Excellent communication and engagement skills
- Leadership qualities
- The ability to influence, guide and at times hold difficult and challenging conversations with fellow clinicians
- Applicants should have a good understanding and fundamental instinct for business.
- Private Dentistry experience
- Coaching and mentoring experience
- Excellent communication, presentation and mediation skills
- Collaborative approach with the ability to work in a large organisation with clinical and non-clinical colleagues
- Excellent clinical skills and an understanding of holistic dentistry and treatment planning
- Ability to engage at all levels within an organisation to obtain necessary information
- Understand practice financials and KPIs and have experience of creating and delivering practice level strategies for growth and development
- Ability to handle difficult conversations
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to plan own workload with the ability to manage competing tasks and priorities
- Ability to work under pressure
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to learn new skills
- Opportunity to take some time away from the clinic and diversify the working week
- Opportunity to be part of the strategic growth of the Portman business.
- Opportunity to work with some of our top clinicians across the country
- Travel with full expenses paid
- Opportunity to meet new people and make connections and new networks
- Opportunity to shape and influence future of Portman
- 25 days holiday in addition to bank holidays (pro-rated for part time hours)
- Special days e.g. your Birthday, child’s first day at School, getting married, moving house or a charity day
- 15% bonus earning potential
- Life assurance 4 x salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to thousands of shopping discounts