It’s an exciting time at Portman Dental Care. We are the largest privately-focused dental group in the UK, having grown to >210 practices in 14 years, and ambitious plans for continued growth. Despite this growth, our ethos remains simple and strong – we focus on treating others as we would want to be treated ourselves.
Portman differs from other dental groups in that our support is very much focused around our practices and clinicians and the consumers they serve. Local empowerment of our practices has been important in our success and will always continue to be at the heart of our business.
What’s also fundamental to our business is clinical freedom and leadership. We need leaders who oversee all aspects of clinical activity for Portman’s practices, ensuring patient care is at the heart of every decision and ensuring our clinician’s feel involved, fully supported and that they can maintain their clinical freedom.
All our clinical leadership team roles are purposeful and play a critical role in the success of our business. The overall purpose of the whole Clinical team is to:
- Provide clinical leadership and direction and act as a clinical conduit across the Group
- Provide support to the wider Portman clinical workforce
- Ensure we stay true to our philosophy of professional clinical standards and ethics being at the heart of Portman
- Provide a conduit for information from Portman to clinicians in our practices
- Protect and grow Portman’s reputation in dentistry
- Ensure there is clinical input to practice level decisions
- Ensure Portman is clinically ethical and moral
- Ensure Portman remains compliant with GDC and other regulatory bodies
- Develop Portman’s future strategy to ensure Portman is at the leading edge of dentistry
- Represent the clinician voice; and the voice of the whole practice.
Working closely with the Managing Director, Clinical Director, Other Directors of Dentistry, Operations Director and Operational leads, you will line manage the Regional Clinical Leads (RCLs), partner the Heads of Operations and support the Operations Managers who are working day to day with our practices. Influencing both directly and through others is a key part of the role.
- Identify and promote clinical opportunities at Group level and make recommendations about Portman’s future direction and long-term strategy.
- Oversee opportunities and input to practice strategy development with Heads of Ops and RCLs/OMs regionally.
- Build relationships with external stakeholders for Portman. Own relevant relationships and support others e.g. Universities, suppliers, regulatory & professional bodies, NHS etc.
- Leverage Portman’s clinical network to support Portman’s M&A activity.
- Partner with the Operations Team, to drive and deliver practice performance at a Group and regional level.
- Provide expert clinical input and mentorship across the Group where needed.
- Participate in key projects as owners, leaders and participants.
- Identify, highlight and protect critical red lines.
- Act as Portman brand ambassador advocating The Portman Way.
- Bring new innovations and ideas, assess suitability and make recommendations.
- Manage clinical succession and development regionally in partnership with Talent team and Operations team.
Working with others
- Support and partner Clinical and Operations teams with particularly complex, challenging or high potential practice relationships.
- Support and partner Portman central and field Support teams to educate on and embed clinical thinking.
- Proactively partner with the Talent team to drive the success of the Portman Academy and other projects to build our clinical talent.
Provide and represent the clinical voice in Portman
- Listen to the clinical community and translate it to “Portman”. Listen to “Portman” and translate it to the clinical community and bridge any gaps.
- Proactively participate and passionately develop community engagement with Practice Managers, Nurses & Decon, Ortho Therapists, Hygienists/Therapists, TCOs and
- Recruit and regionally line manage Regional Clinical Leads.
- Sign off any truly exceptional clinician contract clauses/contracts regionally.
- Perform pre-acquisition clinical visits, review diligence and input to acquisition decisions regionally.
- Partner with the Integrations team to on-board new and provide support for integration practices regionally indirectly via RCLs and IMs to introduce The Portman Way
- Regionally manage Portman’s clinical capital investment.
In addition to this, each Director of Dentistry has some areas of focus which they lead on behalf of the Clinical team and Portman overall.
This role reports to the Chief Clinical Officer and works closely within a team of Directors of Dentistry, line manages Regional Clinical Leads and works in partnership with Heads of Operations to drive practice growth.
What’s in it for you?
- 25 days holiday in addition to bank holidays (pro-rated for part time hours)
- Special days e.g. your Birthday, child’s first day at School, getting married, moving house or a charity day
- 20% bonus earning potential
- Life assurance 4 x salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to thousands of shopping discounts