It’s an exciting time at Portman Dental Care. We are the largest privately-focused dental group in the UK, having grown to >210 practices in 14 years, an upcoming merger with Dentex and ambitious plans for continued growth. Despite this growth, our ethos remains simple and strong – we focus on treating others as we would want to be treated ourselves.
Portman differs from other dental groups in that our support is very much focused around our practices and clinicians and the consumers they serve. Local empowerment of our practices has been important in our success and will always continue to be at the heart of our business.
About the opportunity
We’re looking for a Director of Dentistry to join our clinical team on an employed basis for three days per week. We need leaders who oversee all aspects of clinical activity for Portman’s practices, ensuring patient care is at the heart of every decision and ensuring our clinician’s feel involved, fully supported and that they can maintain their clinical freedom.
All of our clinical leadership team roles are purposeful and play a critical role in the success of our business. Working closely with the Managing Director, Clinical Director, Operations Director and Operational leads, you will line manage the Regional Clinical Leads, partner the Heads of Operations and support the Operations Managers who are working day to day with our practices. Influencing both directly and through others is a key part of the role.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and promoting clinical opportunities at Group level and make recommendations about Portman’s future direction and long-term strategy.
- Overseeing opportunities and inputting to practice strategy development with Heads of Ops and RCLs/OMs regionally.
- Building relationships with external stakeholders for Portman. Owning relevant relationships and support others e.g. Universities, suppliers, regulatory & professional bodies, NHS etc.
- Leveraging Portman’s clinical network to support Portman’s M&A activity.
- Partner with the Operations Team, to drive and deliver practice performance at a Group and regional level.
- Provide expert clinical input and mentorship across the Group where needed.
- Support and partner Clinical and Operations teams with particularly complex, challenging or high potential practice relationships.
- Support and partner Portman central and field Support teams to educate on and embed clinical thinking.
- Proactively participate and passionately develop community engagement with Practice Managers, Nurses & Decon, Ortho Therapists, Hygienists/Therapists, TCOs and
- Recruit and regionally line manage Regional Clinical Leads.
- Perform pre-acquisition clinical visits, review diligence and input to acquisition decisions regionally.
- Regionally manage Portman’s clinical capital investment.
We’d love to hear from you if you’re a substantially experienced Registered GDC Dentist and have:
- Orthodontic expertise and Private Dentistry experience alongside
- Experience of leading business teams e.g. practice owner or equivalent
- Experience in developing and executing strategy
- Coaching and mentoring experience
- Gravitas to lead, motivate and influence relevant stakeholders
- Clinical knowledge of advanced dental procedures and technologies e.g. restorative and surgical dentistry, orthodontics, implantology etc.
- Good IT skills and understanding of clinical software e.g. Exact, R4, Compass etc.
- Commercial acumen including financial understanding of KPI’s and P&L
- Ability to analyse trends and react effectively to market changes
What’s in it for you?
- 25 days holiday in addition to bank holidays (pro-rated for part time hours)
- Special days e.g. your Birthday, child’s first day at School, getting married, moving house or a charity day
- 20% bonus earning potential
- Life assurance 4 x salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to thousands of shopping discounts