Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry / Dentist with Special Interest
- Full time
Role: Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry / Dentist with Special Interest
Reports to: Director of Community Based Dentistry
For further information, please contact:
Robert Witton - email@example.com / 01752 437381
Ewen McColl - firstname.lastname@example.org / 01752 437408
Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise (PDSE) is an award winning Community Interest Company that works closely with the University of Plymouth’s Peninsula Dental School to oversee the clinical education of its dental students and provide NHS treatment and outreach services to local communities.
Role summary: Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise is seeking to appoint a Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry or a Dentist with a Specialist Interest, to provide care of children across PDSE Educational Facilities. This is an extremely exciting post and offers significant opportunities.
The post holder has overall responsibility for ensuring teaching of Paediatric Dentistry of the highest quality in the undergraduate curriculum and high quality patient care of child patients within all the Dental Education Facilities.
The post holder may have a significant role in development of Paediatric Dental Care in the South West region.
You must be registered with the GDC, have completed Dental Foundation training and hold a valid performer number. This post is subject to receipt of clearance from the Disclosure & Barring Service.
Indemnity Insurance and CPD is provided
Hygienist / Therapist support
R4 Software, plus digital X-Rays/CBCT
There will be close working relationships with:
- Director of Clinical Dentistry
- PDSE Senior Management Team
- Senior academic and clinical staff of the Peninsula Dental School including the Clinical Leads for Exeter, Derriford, Devonport and Truro
- Administrative staff
- As required NHSE and Managed Clinical Network in Paediatric Dentistry
The post holder will be responsible for communicating information to all staff reporting to him/her and for acting as a channel of communication to other areas of the department, faculty or institution.
This vacancy will involve working with children and any appointment will be subject to receipt of clearance from the Disclosure & Barring Service.
- To ensure that appropriate care of the highest quality is provided to all paediatric patients in the four Dental Education Facilities of Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise.
- To ensure treatment of children is in line with accepted practice and NHS guidelines.
- To work with both the clinical and year leads to allow efficient and effective provision of Paediatric Dentistry in PDSE
- To ensure that the quality and standards of Paediatric Dentistry teaching and supervision are uniform and appropriate across Peninsula Dental School To take overall responsibility for ensuring patient safety and promote high standards of effective clinical performance in Paediatric Dentistry.
- To ensure appropriate clinical governance systems are in place and are reviewed on a regular basis.
- To support delivery of the Paediatric Dentistry aspects of the BDS and DTh curriculum.
- To work closely with the Clinical Leads and the Directors to ensure smooth running of the Dental Education Facilities – with a particular emphasis on paediatric care.
- To provide specialist paediatric advice relevant to development of the dental programme in response to national health policy, local service developments, liaison with external partners and community stakeholders.
- To provide paediatric leadership in all aspects of PDSE/Peninsula Dental School’s core activity and future service developments, both internal and external.
Measures of success:
- Successful outcomes to items listed in key accountabilities and other delegated tasks
- Positive customer feedback (staff, patients and students)
- Meets deadlines
- Manages competing demands
The post holder will be an employee of Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise.
All staff are required to positively support equality of opportunity and equity of treatment to colleagues and students in accordance with our Equality and Diversity Policy.
All staff are responsible for carrying out appropriate communication and information sharing.
This job description provides a general reflection of the key accountabilities associated with the post, it is expected that the role holder will undertake any other reasonable activities to assist in efficient service delivery.
This job description is not exhaustive and may change as the post develops, but such change will not take place without consultation between the post holder and his/her manager. Job descriptions should be reviewed at least annually at the appraisal meeting.
Normal working hours are 0845 to 1700 Monday to Friday, however on occasions to meet business need you will be required to work revised hours, typically between 0800 and 1800.
The Working Time Regulations apply to all employees of Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise (CIC) In particular Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise (CIC) will not permit staff in all employments to work in excess of 48 hours in any one week except where there are exceptional service needs where an absolute limit of averaging over a reference period of 17 weeks would apply.