Lisa McCusker (pictured), Recruitment Team Leader and Locum Specialist at Dental Elite, a specialist dental consultancy specialising in sourcing of dental jobs, practice finance, and sale & valuations, tells Adrian O'Dowd how dental professionals can seek out the best jobs, present themselves well and secure the most desirable posts.
Key insights –
- The dental recruitment market is crying out for qualified dentists and dental care professionals
- Practices are promoting themselves with various advantages and key selling points highlighted in addition to the usual contract details and UDA targets in order to make them more attractive to potential recruits
- Dentists are increasingly more open to moving to a new job and are seeking job security after the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 pandemic
- Dentists’ experience with detailed work history is vital in a CV alongside information about themselves as a person
- Even if you have not been working as a qualified dentist for long, ensure your CV details a wide-range of experiences that you have from your working life so far
- Don’t be put off a job that advertises a full-time post – there is a strong chance that the role may be flexible and allow part-time candidates as part of a job share
- Look at the whole package being offered by a practice – does the job offer good career progression, flexible working hours, good transport links, parking, good schools for your children?
- Be flexible on interviews and be ready to do online Zoom or Teams meetings at short notice – it’s a fast-moving market
- Research a practice before you go there to be interviewed and think about preparing a portfolio for interviews and have testimonials or even positive Google reviews ready
- Show an interest in the practice before your interview – have some of your own questions prepared, be friendly and confident, and show your people skills that will help you fit in well with the team and patients
- Think long term as well as short term, looking for how a post could benefit you as part of a career path.